Stop, Look, Listen, Smell, Taste, Touch.
What you know of the world comes through the 5 senses. Paying attention to your sensory input can focus the mind on the present. Living in the present can, momentarily, lower anxiety, relieve muscle tension and calm the mind.
Here's a quick exercise, The Senses Check, which takes about a minute to bring you into a tranquil space.
- Stand and take a few deep breaths.
- Slowly rotate in place as you take in the visual information around you. Name everything you see.
- Come back to place and close your eyes and attend to the sounds in your environment. Name the sounds. Locate them in your mind's eye.
- Switch your awareness to smell and identify any odors.
- Now, lick your lips to taste whatever is there.
- Next, switch your attention to touch. How do your clothes feel on your body? How do they feel when you touch each component; soft/hard, warm/cold, rough/smooth. How does your body feel? Notice any kinks, sore spots, muscle tension.
- Inhale deeply and as you exhale release any physical stress.
Do The Senses Check and experience the present moment completely.
Even one episode of mindful practice can be beneficial for your health.